Filipina Fiancee Be Able To Get A Work Permit

It is a good idea to ask on our Forum at Living In The Philippines Community Forum. Others can tell you how it really works, not just what the US Embassy says, thought the US Embassy does a great job, I recommend you do everything through the Manila office where office hours of the Counselors are longer, and maybe some are more liberal than the local Consulate officer here in Cebu City. I personally have had good experiences with him, admire him for his hard work. But some complain he is very strict. Personally, I like "strict." He is really protecting you, the Filipina and the US Government. And that is what he is getting paid for, his job.

After arriving in the United States, your fiance(e) will be eligible to apply for a work permit. (You should note that USCIS might not be able to process the work permit within the 90-day time limit for your marriage to take place.) Your fiance(e) should use Form I-765 to apply for a work permit. Please see How Do I Get a Work Permit? for more information. If your fiance(e) applies for adjustment to permanent resident status, your fiance(e) must re-apply for a new work permit after the marriage.

How Can I Check the Status of My Application?

Please contact the USCIS office that received your application. You should be prepared to provide the USCIS staff with specific information about your application. Please click here for complete instructions on checking the status of your visa petition. Click here for information on specific USCIS offices.

How Can I Appeal and adverse decision?

If your petition for a fiance(e) visa is denied, the denial letter will tell you how to appeal. Generally, you may appeal within 33 days of receiving the denial by mail. Your appeal must be filed on USCIS Form I-290B. The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU) in Washington, DC. (Sending the appeal and fee directly to the AAU will delay the process.)

Can Anyone Help Me?

If advice is needed, you may contact the USCIS District Office near your home for a list of community-based, non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you in applying for an immigration benefit. Please see our USCIS field offices home page for more information on contacting USCIS offices. In addition, please see our Webpage that provides information on obtaining free legal advice.